Here are some basic tips to remember if you should have the misfortune of being in a car accident:
- Safety first – get yourself (and your vehicle, if possible) out of harm’s way.
- Call the police and report the accident.
- Assist others involved in the accident if it can be done safely.
- Do not admit fault and do not volunteer information or speculate on the cause of the accident.
- If it can be done safely, take pictures of the scene, the vehicles involved, including license plate information.
- Write down your immediate recollections of the accident — they will fade over time.
- Get witness information, including names, addresses and phone numbers.
- Cooperate with law enforcement, exchange license and insurance information.
- Contact your insurance agent and your attorney, if necessary.
The aftermath of a car accident can be a confusing and highly stressful situation. Stay focused and try to keep calm. You might keep a copy of this article in your glove box with your other important papers so that you can refer to this list in the future.
– Kevin Palmer